In this episode, Johnny, James, and Zack talk about how you can make your woodworking hobby profitable and still have fun! We go into batching out projects, finding custom work, and more.
We’re on Patreon! We’ve got tons of support levels, a weekly After Show, monthly hangouts, and more. Special thanks to our patrons Make Build Modify, Love & Renovations, and Deby Brooke (thanks Mom 🙂 )!
What are we working on?
- Zack: Truck, Doors, Chairs, Giveaway, prospects:Bulletin board, Sign, desk
- Johnny: Published “How To Build A DIY Guitar Stand / Rack” video. Working on Nelson Bench.
- James: DRESSER!! And a bench and a Pen!
Show Topic: Making Your Woodworking Hobby Profitable
- Johnny: Find an item you can make efficiently and make a bunch of them. Etsy, craft fairs, Craigslist, Facebook, friends and family.
- James: You got to LOVE what you do before it will ever make money. Look for something you can make with a high value to time ratio. Next find some way you can make it differently to set yourself apart.
Q & A:
Brad Ward: Along the profitable line… what are your opinions on making many of one thing, versus making many different items? I feel like high end unique projects would provide a higher yield as opposed to lots of the same thing.
Jesse Stephen: How did you all start getting clients, like good ways to self promote?
What’s new/what are we watching/reading?
Favorite tool this week?
- Freud Glue Line Rip thin kerf blade : http://amzn.to/2l2tIDw