In this episode, Johnny, James, and Zack talking about finding their own design style in woodworking and making. A lot of design is derivative, but being able to break out of the mold and form your own style is one of the most rewarding aspects of creating.
What are we working on?
- Zack: Plasma table, Chairs
- Johnny: Vacation!
- James: DRESSER!!!! DONE!!!!!
Show Topic: Inventing Your Own Design Style
- Johnny: Copy other’s styles until you find your own. Check out our episode on Finding Inspiration for more ideas.
- Zack: Learning what characteristics signify each style, mixing and matching ideas from different styles to create something unique
- James: look for individual items you can make your own. Your design will change over time.
Q & A:
“How many channels are you currently subscribed to? How do you find time to watch them all (keep up to date)”
– Felix Espana
James: I make it a priority as it is very important to me. I subscribe to over 500 channels and get notifications from around 400 and watch around 20 videos a day. I do use the 2X speed control on most videos.
“What options did you consider for securing the top of the dresser to the carcass? Pros and Cons of the options and why you decided on the final option?
James: I did not want to use screws or groove clips but needed something strong enough to lift the whole dresser. For that I love figure 8 clips. Low profile and very strong.”
– Brad Knecht