In this episode, Johnny, James, and Zack talk about what their dream shops, both woodworking and metalworking, would look like. Spoiler alert: Johnny would drive his Porsche from the bandsaw to table saw. This was a fun one, let’s get started!
We’re on Patreon!
Check out our Patreon page here, we have tons of support levels, a weekly After Show, monthly hangouts, and more! Our top patron this week is Make Build Modify, and we’d like to welcome our new patrons: Andrew Hunt, Stian Johannessen, Logan Merkey, Robin Lewis, Chris Mayer, Keith Johnson, and Eric Sipe. Thanks for your support!
What are we working on?
- Zack: Chairs, Plasma table, forged key fob,
- Johnny: Kerfing End Tables
- James: Not the dresser! LED Lighting for the new shop space. 8 benches. Wals devoted to Carving, planes and saws. Finishing room.
Show Topic: Imagining Our Dream Shops
- Johnny: Space for each medium set up and ready to go. Teaching. An editor. One of everything Veritas and Lie Nielsen.
- Zack: Multiple lights, multiple cameras, sharpies & tape measures everywhere, spacious, metal side, wood side, storage, paint booth,
- James: Focused lighting, 6 benches and a tool wall for each type.
Q & A:
- Jon Harmon: “what was your best and worst moment in the shop.”
- Logan Merkey: “James, Favorite wood to carve?”
- Peter Warrender: “What tool do you guys have that you don’t need… but really like?”
- Jacob Hladik: “I’m thinking about adding a router insert to my table saw to save space. Would you guys put it on the left or right side of the blade? I see advantages to both.”
What’s new/what are we watching/reading?
- Johnny: Pinegrove on Audiotree
- James: Adjustable Chandelier
- Zack: Design: The Definitive Visual History. Music – The Bones of J.R. Jones
Favorite tool/product this week?
- Zack: Tomahawk 375 Plasma cutter
- Johnny: Bessey EKT55 One-Handed Edge Clamp
- James: American Green Lights LED
- Scroll Saw Scribbler (see his incredible work below)